Friday, October 5, 2007

Remember the Cowbells?

The year was 2002 I was sitting on one of the chair from our dining table (I think we did not have a couch then) with my beers and chips watching the 1st quarter of the Western Conference Finals game 4 Sacramento vs Lakers , the kings was up 2-1 after destroying the Lakers at Sacramento on Game 3. I was thinking no worries, the Lakers are home we can tie this series, and oh by the way! I didn’t have my 2 kids then too! So 1st quarter is on its way and the Queens err.. the Kings started to look like their the team who is going to the NBA Finals, this is 1st quarter and I drank 3 beers already (half of my six pack!) cause of the lack of play from the Lakers.

So…….. the 1st quarter ended….. and we are down 20 pts!!!!! For 2 consecutive game, we are down big in the 1st quarter. By this time I took the 2nd six pack of beer from the fridge getting ready for the 2nd quarter and the rest of the game, BABE! Yelled my wife, WHAT! I answered, “are you guys losing?” she asked, Shut up! I said. See my wife couldn’t care less for the Lakers, AHHHH.. Women…. Then 2nd quarter starts Bibby and kings continued their brilliance play toying with the Lakers, I just can feel their cockiness coming out of the TV set. What the hell! Do something! Play some defense or something! I’m yelling at my TV set, I swear if my wife was not home our Television will be smashed to pieces. BABE! Your to Loud! My wife yelled again. So I went back to my chair and took a sip of my beer, then 2nd quarter is over the Kings up by 14 points.

So by the 3rd quarter I can see in Kobe’s eyes that he will not let Bibby score (2 points in the 2nd half) and shut down Bibby is what he did. By this time too Shaq is bullying everyone that gets in his path. Yeah baby!! That’s how you play basketball!! As if my yelling will be heard in Staples, Lakers are playing shut down defense and a decent offense at this point. But! The pesky Kings will not go away, I can see in my head the fans back in Sacramento with their cowbells being loud. So back and forth we go in the 3rd until it was over Kings up by 7 points. Being tipsy and all I am ready to stop being a Lakers fan forever! They Suck!

4th quarter the moment to determine who will come out of this game winner, I am with my last beer and my chips? Hmmmm I think I ate all my chips or I accidentally threw it away because of my disgust with the Lakers. So here goes the 4th quarter not knowing who will win the game, my emotion are the same as the scoreboared UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, Lakers suck!! Kobe’s the Man!! Go home Shaq!! Yeah dunk on him Shaq!! I’m glad my kids was not born yet because they’ll wonder if all Daddy’s are like me. The Lakers are still down 8 points with 4 mins left in the game!! C’mon! But then with all the action it came down to Shaq hitting 2 free throws making the game 98-97 Kings with 26 secs left. At the other end Vlade missed one free throw to make the score 99-97 Kings with 11 secs left, and then came this play………Lakers inbound the ball to Kobe clock starts to tick, Kobe drove to basket for the Tie!! Missed! NOOOO!!! I yelled. Shaq got the rebound and follow through! Missed! NOOOO!! Again I yelled. Divac tapped the ball outside to run the clock out .5 secs left, Horry ended up with the ball behind the 3 point line, he let it loose SWISH!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!! YOU THE MAN HORRY!! I LOVE YOU BABE!! AHHHHH!! GET THEM COWBELLS BACK IN YOUR POCKETS!! And that’s how I remembered the cowbells. Lakers won game 4 100-99 beating the Kings and tying the series 2-2. What a game!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember this game. Tons of mixed emotions!